U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has published the long awaited new version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
What is the Purpose of the Form 1-9?
Form I-9 is designed to verify the identity and employment authorization of employees hired in the United States, so that only U.S. citizens and foreign citizens with the proper legal authorization are hired. All U.S. employers are required to properly complete and retain Form I-9 for each person they hire for employment in the United States.
What are the New Form I-9 Dates?
- The new Form I-9 is dated November 14, 2016.
- The new Form I-9 will expire on August 31, 2019.
- Employers are allowed to continue using a Form I-9 with a revision date of March 8, 2013 (or may use the new version) until January 21, 2017.
- Employers are required to use the new version by January 22, 2017.
What New Changes are in the New Form I-9?
The new Form I-9, which contains many of the same features as the prior version, has the following updates:
- The preparer and translator section is slightly different
- Each form is assigned a unique QR code
- The instructions are separated from the form
- Clarification of the “other names used” field to request only “other last names used”
- Numbering of immigration status categories in Section 1
- Additional details regarding the preparer/translator category, including the ability to select multiple preparers/translators
- A designated area to enter additional information that previously needed to be entered as a margin note
- A separate page (Page 3) for Section 3 of the Form I-9
- Additional prompts and electronic enhancements, such as drop-down lists and calendars, to facilitate the proper entry of required information.
Download the new Form I-9 and instructions by clicking here.
EPAY Systems’ human capital management system eliminates manual processes, dramatically reducing the time it takes to collect employee data while improving accuracy and efficiency. With a complete set of digital and online forms combined with electronic signature functionality, you can ensure accurate tax reporting and I-9 compliance right from the get-go. Set up a demonstration today.