Wireless technology continues to evolve at lightening speed and the full capabilities are still being explored. New mobile applications are being developed for both entertainment and utility and the business that does not adapt and adopt will be left behind.
Developments in Time Clock Technology
Time and attendance systems have found that mobile technology has finally provided a solution for time tracking problems. Thanks to mobile time-tracking apps with GPS, no employee is out of reach of a ‘time clock.’ For employers who could never accurately track their mobile or scattered workforce before, this is big news.
These mobile time-tracking apps are downloaded easily onto smartphones and tablets, like any other app. It doesn’t matter if employees are on the road, if their worksites are remote, or if they can’t support conventional time clocks. Construction site? Oil rig? It’s no problem.
Top 5 Reasons Why Smartphones Make Easy Time Clocks:
1. Almost everyone has a smartphone – According to a recent report by the Pew Research Center, an independent, fact-finding group, nearly half of American adults already own a smartphone, and smartphone ownership is on the rise. In addition, many employers already provide smartphones to mobile employees. If the app offers a "Group Punch" feature, a manager may also use one tablet or phone to punch in multiple people at a job site.
2. Electronic time tracking delivers real-time data reporting – Employers using manual time-tracking systems don’t have easy access to their time-keeping records. With electronic time-tracking systems, however, reports are just a few clicks away. You can also utilize critical or minimum employee alerts to get real-time data on if you have the right employees on a site. It’s a great efficiency management tool and a great way to put compliance questions to rest.
3. Mobile time tracking is more affordable than time clocks – Employers who were reluctant to invest in traditional time clocks can still have a state-of-the-art, automated time and attendance system, but for a much lower cost of ownership. No need for the large overhead costs of traditional time clocks.
4. It better manages employee expectations – When employees punch in and out electronically, there’s no questioning what hours they worked or how much overtime they’ve earned. Plus, employees have 24/7 access to HR data such as their schedules, hours, and earned days off. You can also use mobile time tracking features to send out mass messages to employees that they will receive when they clock in.
5. Leaves no room for excuses – When employees are punching in and out via their own smartphones, there’s no valid reason for skipping a punch. And when their mobile time-tracking app has GPS verification, there’s no questioning where that punch came from. You can choose the approved radius so that you know an employee is actually clocking in from where they say they are, and not at the local Starbucks.